Skip to main content

New year

I hardly have treated this blog well as I have not been very consistent. I will attempt to do so now. This year's struggle for me is to get purchase my first accommodation. This is a difficult feat all over the world, but this is made doubly so in Africa with lack of credit, or should I say affordable long term credit. Don't get me wrong, I thank God everyday for being African and being blessed in some of the most difficult economies in the world. However, I think we as Africans need to have a true debate over what economic dispensation we want.

I went to my bank the other day after feeling a little confident about my financial position (both my wife and I finally have a little left over every month after bills), and asked my banker for a loan to begin my quest to purchase a flat in Harare. The banker looked at me and indicated this was not possible to secure a property in Zim with a loan in Zambia (being an expatriate in Zambia) and I would have to bear ridiculously high interest rates if I was to take up an unsecured short term loan.

This has resulted in me having to do it the old fashion way - save! this is not a problem if the banks gave interest for this otherwise I am just losing money.

Ladies and gentlemen, let me get to the point. financial inclusion in Africa is a pipe dream if we try and achieve it using the same rules as the west. Their models do well, but they assume too much for Africa. I do not regard myself as disadvantaged, but if I am going through this what about those in a worse of position than I?

For development to truly take effect it has to start from the stage of financial inclusion. The basic principle is this:

1. if I have a dollar, I should have somewhere safe to put it.
2. If I put that dollar in a bank, it should earn me more than keeping it under my pillow.
3. If I have a record of keeping money in the bank I should have access to loans.

The current structure does not incentivise me to save in the formal system. Until we get these systems working for us, development as we like it cannot occur.

more to follow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The new world order

I have been following my favorite team, The Arsenal and it dawned on me, just like everything else you cannot win without the fundamentals.. The game against Manchester United showed that if you don't get the fundamentals of a balanced team right you concede two goals when you have just equalised and looking to take the lead. Today we have seen the fundamentals of a truly competitive squad being ignored and we have subs who come on and give a tepid performance. Now if these players understood that every game is a test, they would never have the word defeat on their mind. Everytime they put on the shirt they should be playing to impress.. too many coasters. The same needs to be said of too many leaders on the African continent when it comes to the governance of their countries. I am no politician but what I have seen in my home of Zimbabwe is enough to make a young economist wonder what their intention is? Do people intentionally want to destroy the place of my youth? Are these

When rock Bottom has a basement- A call for monetary reform

Welcome to Zimbabwe ! Where we as a people have since 1955 (then we were called Rhodesia) argued verbose arguments based on ideology (race, tribe, economic system etc) that at its core keeps a certain class of people subjugated with another rich and powerful. these arguments often ignore reality on the ground. Often those in power are shook by this reality that often has far-reaching, earth-shattering consequences. We as a nation have seen reality take control every 25 or so years and really shake these dogmatic ideologies. The first was the racist Rhodesian government's ideology of white minority rule, or "Apartheid lite". The government of the day engaged in inward looking state-oriented economy that was built largely to meet the aspirations of the white minority. Our parents and those that came before them only gained value through serving these aspirations as labour (skilled or otherwise). 20 years of sanctions, civil disobedience and finally armed resistance led the

Zimbabwe Economic Reality

What is the value we create? That is  the issue to the new Zimbabwean economic reality. This question must be asked everyday, in every household and every sector of the economy. We cannot as a nation go forward without that. By adopting the multi-currency regime in Zimbabwe we effectively removed any ability to improve our competitiveness by manipulating exchange rates. This has been the trick that African economies have been using to essentially "protect" the economy. These policies have, in my opinion, kept our countries only competitive in the primary and extractive industries. This is why when we look at GDP growth in Africa, much of our economy as a continent is dependent on FDIs (Foriegn Direct Investment) and export of raw materials. I need to note that I am in no way against the tenets of FDI and export of Raw Materials, it must not be in the long term economic policy of a country to focus on that alone. Remember that today's FDI becomes tomorrow's divi